Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rest Day

2 mile walk at Tufts

Plunged feet in ice bath

COMMENTS
  • General: I did a long week in review write up earlier and apparently it didn't post. I'm not motivated enough to do another one I'll just post a rest day for today.
  • Nutrition: Alright, drank last night so hangover food wasn't "clean"
  • Body: Felt better today
  • Sleep: 8 hours
  • Reflections: Nothing really ready for a solid week hopefully with no injuries.
  • Food For Thought: As athletes get better, we all learn stuff. Part of education is experiencing things on our own and certain benefits can only be obtained first-hand. If you could go back in time to when you first started training, what's something you would tell yourself to do in your training so that you could reap the benefits now? Is there any phase of your training you would have skipped over or changed in anyway in order to be further along the path to your goals now?

4 comments:

Ben said...

I would've told myself to ease back on all the Crossfit Metcons that I did. They led to my elbow injury last summer because I kept piling them on and not allowing my body to rest.

Another thing I would've forced myself to do is consistently lift heavy. My training has made me believe that in order to get better at anything athletically, you need to touch the barbell everyday. For example, my opinion is that while benching may only make you better at burpees to some extent, benching will make you better at dips and pushups. Doing dips and pushups will make you better at burpees. It seems to me that this is true in any barbell exercise. Just because they don't directly transfer to a non-strength activity doesn't mean they can't drastically improve that activity. I think I have a huge advantage on any runner out there because I squat heavy and they don't. My coordination, balance and leg strength/stamina is up there with really good runners because I condition them so thoroughly with heavy squats. Nothing stimulates more muscle growth than a heavy squat, so they are damn important.

But I also believe that everything happens for a reason and if I were to change something from my early years of training I may not be where I am now at all. It does however allow me to think what could've been.

Justin said...

I would have not played as much tennis. I should have stopped playing in college (jr year?) when I couldn't lift my book bag off the ground. It hurt so bad and only got worse when I did hundreds of pull-ups during my CF training. As for running, I ran way too much to soon when I was younger. I didn't really have a plan or kept records, just ran. I probably put too many miles in and ended up hurting my knees and shins in the process. However, like you said, we learn from our mistakes. I have a solid running base from all those early miles i put on in my career and can look back at my CF training and see how it improved my mental toughness (lets be serious, a 50 mile run is way easier than fran!). So I guess I learned the hard way but also grew mentally and physically from my setbacks.

Shane said...

Less metcons and more squats!

Dan Rotatori said...

you guys said it best I don't regret anything just learn from it and try and make myself better from it. I would not be the same person I am today if I did not make mistakes.

Post a Comment